From the yeasty warmth of freshly baked bread to the clean, summery haze of lavender flowers, we all have favorite smells we find particularly comforting. What’s yours?
I have a very strong sense of smell, something my mother tells that I have picked up from my pet 😛
Here is a list of my favourite smells in no particular order:
1) Petrichor – Undoubtedly not just mine but every one’s favourite.It reminds me that a few things that always spread happiness are priceless and remain the same, no matter what. 🙂
2) Soaps – Specifically margo and mysore sandal soap, they remind me of my grandparents. My grandfather would take bath 3 times a day and he had this unmistakable smell of santoor emancipating from him all the time and my grandma would follow the same too only that instead of santoor it would be margo, which had the smell of neem.
3) Cow dung – I know it sounds weird but my grandparent’s mansion had a cowshed adjacent to it. Whenever I catch the smell of cow dung, I get transported to the time when I would sit in the balcony and let my legs dangle out of the grills while savouring mangoes and enjoying the pre monsoon showers and greenery.
4) Any fragrant lotions/perfumes – My sister had a habit of taking bath in perfume itself! She always smelt ‘Oh-so-wonderful’, though I would get annoyed with her many a times since I can’t stand strong smells but not that she stays away from home, I miss her a lot. ❤
5) Incense sticks – Whenever I find/smell incense stick, be it of any flavour, I remember my Ma. My Ma is a devout, and anytime that I look at God all that I can think of is my Ma. 🙂
6) ‘His’ smell – There is something about ‘his’ smell, raw and untouched by external fragrances. I can’t put it into words, it would be like explaining what water tastes like. Now that he isn’t here at times I pull out a vest that I took from him before he left and indulge my senses in ‘his’ smell. It brings back to me all the memories and leaves me with a warm, fuzzy feeling. ❤
7) Food – I love eating and food, so in general I get tempted whenever I the smell of food comes wafting through my way! 😀
8) Petrol and Nail Polish – I read somewhere long back that it is almost as addictive as drugs, but I can’t help not smelling them! It has an intoxicating element which always pulls me! 😛
9) Arabian Jasmine – This smell takes me back to the bus rides that I had. Most days during the late evenings, flower vendors would travel in the bus with their flowers back to their homes and the smell of these flowers would flood the bus.
10) Cinnamon (Dal-chini) – I had learnt of a facepack that involved honey lime and dalchini and would apply it religiously only to eat it up halfway into the process of applying 😛 It takes me back to a time when I was naive! 🙂